Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyra has decided to boycott peeing in the litter box in favor of the liitter trap mats in front of the pans and for the non slip mat in the bathtub. She also occasionally pees on towels left on the ground. She has never pooed outside of the box. Is this related to her beimg unaltered, a preferance forr plastic or somethimg else? We will be takng her to the vet in the next week oor two for thee second feline leukemia vaccine shot, and we can have her tested for a UTI then. She iss getting snipped in the next month when we get Tucker done. Is there a litterbox alternative that is like plastic over a litter paan or a bucket or something? If it is not hormonal or medical, I would like to have her use something other than the bath mat lol.

forgive my typos, I am on my phone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Entire girls can pee around the place, that is not uncommon at all.

I would not wait to check her for a UTI though, book her in asap for that. I also wouldn't give the leuk shot, nothing over 3 in 1's given here.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Good idea to have her checked but more importantly speyed as soon as possible.

It could just be the 'wet' of the mat though.. We don't have a mat inside our bath but the material mat (with rubber back) we stand on to dry ourselves outside the bath will get pee'd on by Samson if we leave it on the floor. We have to make sure we pick it up and hang it over the side of the bath when we're done drying ourselves.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I would see the vet sooner rather than later. If it IS a UTI it seems kind of awful to have to live with it for an extra week or two....

If she checks out OK they might be able to do her spay sooner rather than wait.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmkay I'll book her in sooner. I am getting her the leukemia shot(and tucker when he is old enough) because I work with ferals and it would be a load off my mind when I have feral kittens and their moms in the house. I know it isn't 100% and they won't actively be near the ferals till they see a vet but it makes me feel better.

We wanted to do the spay and neuter at the same time so they will both be druggy at the same time and hopefully not harass each other too much.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Unaltered females will pee on other things when they are starting to come in heat, so it might be that, or she may as others have suggested have an UTI. Definitely have her checked by a vet as soon as you can, and keep her away from any un-neutered males just in case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a cat for 19 years that if I left a plastic bag out on the floor for any length of time, It was pretty much a guarantee that he would pee on it. If I kept the bags put away, then there was no problem.

But I agree, have her checked for any medical problems that may be causing it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh believe me, we are VERY careful with her so she does not have an "oops" litter. When in heat she is watched like a hawk so she does not sneak out, and (even though he is only ten ish weeks) tucker is kept in a separate room when she is in heat(she is just coming out of heat).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Mmkay I'll book her in sooner. I am getting her the leukemia shot(and tucker when he is old enough) because I work with ferals and it would be a load off my mind when I have feral kittens and their moms in the house. I know it isn't 100% and they won't actively be near the ferals till they see a vet but it makes me feel better.

We wanted to do the spay and neuter at the same time so they will both be druggy at the same time and hopefully not harass each other too much.
I know you weren't looking for vaccine advice when you posted this, but I vaccinated three of my cats for feline leukemia (for exactly the reason you listed, rescuing ferals) and I wish I hadn't. I found this info after I got Muffin because of his bad experience with vaccines.

Vaccine Protocol

I had to look pretty hard to find the info, but if you want to know more about it you can PM me, or do a search for feline vaccine effectiveness. I know I wish I had known more before I got my three vaccinated for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well that is interesting. Guess I wasted the money for the first shot. That sucks. Could have put the money towards something else. Thanks for the info librarychick.

So then what should I do with ferals? I have already had orphaned bottle babies, and the local and not so local vets and caretakers know I am okay with fostering bottle babies again. I would like to do it proper and have kyra and or tucker help me teach the kittens how to be kittens. =\

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

That's a tricky question and one that I think is very personal.

For myself I won't allow my cats to interact with any strays, but that's because we haven't had a foster in a while. If I was to foster again I'd play it a bit by ear. I would be working with a rescue group, so the cats would have been to a vet to be checked for health first.

The other major factor in my decision is that it's extremely uncommon where I live. Because of that my cats are highly unlikely to come into contact with it.

I'd suggest seeking out a local holistic vet who knows the area, and the risk for this virus in your area. Usually holistic vets tend to go with low vaccination protocol, and they can give you good advice about how vaccines can react with your cat. IMO if a holistic vet sits with you and discusses the risk they are likely to have a few good suggestions about controlling risk and protecting your cats. But do some research so you can ask good questions and follow the answers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts