Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Visit alleycat.org Alley Cat Allies is the group for info on ferals. It would be best to get him fixed+ before winter and build him a shelter. I have no doubt Alley Cats will have lots of ideas on shelters and probably construction info.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dodged a bullet last night. While feeding him a coyote came into the yard. Now this is crowded suburban NJ so this is not a typical event. I shouted, canine ran in one direction, feline the other. Hopefully Orange made it through the night.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Out here I hear lots of coyotes, but don't see them. It's worrisome that one came that close to a human.
This is another way that a good, solid shelter would come in handy. The cat would have a safe place the coyote could not get into.
Please check out the shelters, there are ideas for shelters that are very strong without being difficult or expensive to make/build.

Feral Cat Shelter Options Gallery - Alley Cat Allies

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Orange has become quite the large beast. He now has a shelter that he does not yet use but I suspect he will since he feeds here frequently. He approaches me when he is hungry but I am reluctant to reach out and touch him. When he is hungry he will bump my hand out of the way to get at the food and will eat off of a hand held spoon. Last night he walked into the rec room but was reluctant to stay. So the question is, do I or don't I attempt to touch him and what are the consequences (based on the experience of others) if I do?

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Hi Fanwood!
If Orange is eating off of a spoon...I would offer him a loosely closed fist, at his head level...if he sniffs your hand, that's good, if he 'bumps' your hand, with a head bump, that's even better! With a 'head bump' to your hand, you could offer a gentle chin rub, if he leans into it, Great! If not, than just back off a bit, with any touches, started by you, let him make the first contact!
It does sound like trust is beginning, and building!:)
Best of Luck to you!!
Sharon

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.