Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oven (electric) has decided that it's not going to work. Every time I turn it on it blows a fuse. It used to do this occasionally before, but if I turned off other appliances it would be fine. But literally every time I turn the dial into the on position, all the lights in my apartment go off and I have to flip the fuse.

One of my friends suggested that it might be because I need a wattage adapter? I don't know. I'm totally clueless about that stuff. That might make sense since I'm sure people in my building are using a lot more electricity now that it's colder. I called the maintenance guy in my building, but he laughed and said he had no idea what to do with an oven. My landlord is similarly unhelpful. (Ovens are really very uncommon here)

Thoughts? I don't know what the wattage is like here, so I don't know if anyone will have any ideas, but I thought I'd give it a shot...

I want to bake Christmas cookies!!!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
without knowing how things are wired over there, I wouldn't even know where to begin. The fact that you said ovens are rare, I would seriously doubt it's wired properly.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yep, thats European wiring. Like I said initially, there are just too many things on the circuit. A wattage adapter may just work, this will prevent the oven from pulling too much current all at once, but it will take longer to heat up. Best bet would be to use the oven during off-peak usage times.

I have often wondered why the US doesn't go to the European wiring :? 240V @ 20 amps on every outlet would rock. Probably the same reason we are the only ones in the world not on the metric system. :(

ETA: and make sure you turn off anything else non-essential on that circuit when you run the oven. I have a similar situation, my kitchen is all on one 15A circuit. I can run the microwave and refridgerator at the same time, but if I kick on the toaster oven the breaker trips. hth. I also have a dual oven/range but it is on its own 240v circuit.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Okay, I know it's sort of off topic but I have to ask, ovens are not common in China? Really? Do they just have stove tops or what? Or is it just that electric stoves are uncommon? That's really interesting.
As for the over loading of the circuits, can't that cause a fire??

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nanook said:
Okay, I know it's sort of off topic but I have to ask, ovens are not common in China? Really? Do they just have stove tops or what? Or is it just that electric stoves are uncommon? That's really interesting.
As for the over loading of the circuits, can't that cause a fire??
Not at all common! They don't ever bake anything! Traditionally, all bread-y things are steamed...steamed buns, steamed dumplings etc. Everything else can be made in a wok! Most people have gas stoves. I've known families who had no stove at all! Just hot plates! I only know three other expats with built in ovens...the rest all use toaster ovens.

One time last year, my Chinese friend told my South African friend and me that she'd just bought an oven, and she wanted us to come over and bake in it. We were so excited! We had all these plans for what we were going to bake. We bought all the ingredients and went over to her house and said, "Hey, where's the oven?" She said, "Oh! Let me go and get it!" and came back with a little toaster oven! Haha, needless to say, our plans had to be modified.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love mine too! I use the toaster oven for most things; I'm usually just baking one chicken breast or fish steak. It's not very good for cookies though...burns the tops and you can only bake 6 at a time!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Um, you can bake your cookies in a toaster oven. Just cover the tops with crinkled up aluminum foil so the tops wont burn. Crinkling the foil allows hot air to circulate under it.
Robin, is the oven yours, or does it belong to the building? If it's the latter, the landlord is morally, if not legally in Shanghai, obliged to get it working for you. If it belongs to the building and they can't get it working, your rent should be reduced.

If it were in the US, your oven would be on its own circuit, having adequate gauge wiring for the current it draws. However, I've heard and read that the safety and reliability of electrical wiring in other countries can be pretty shaky.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right John. Apartments in Asia, like Europe are more like condos. I pay building fees in addition to my rent, because most apartments are owned by individuals rather than the building. So my landlord only owns my apartment, so though the building guys came to take a look, they had no obligation to fix it. My landlord, however, does. I'm going to email my landlord's daughter in law. She speaks very good English, so it will be easier to explain the problem!

Even if the cookies didn't burn, I was planning on baking dozens and dozens of different kinds to take to my students.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts