Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitty really loves Yogurt, she always goes out of her way to get a lick when my boyfriend is eating his. Is it safe for her to have a little yogurt treat every now and then? I was going to get her some plain yogurt to try out if it's okay for her.

Edit: I forgot to add that she has had some problems with runny stools recently. She just finished up her giardia medicine, and I have been instructed to put a pinch of powder on her wet food each night. Her stools are still runny, but not quite as bad as before. Is there anything I can give her to help? She's been to the vet, twice, and is not sick according to them. She eats wellness wet, chicken formula. The vet suggested a little metamucil, is this safe?

·
Registered
380 Posts
My cat has a daily dose of yogurt powder(not the proper name, but can't spell it) and slippery elm for runny stool.

We get solid turds because of it............. :wink:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yogart is great

yogart is great for your cat. Try to give her the pure, unsweetened plain vanilla if possible. Definitely don't feed her any with artificial sweetners. you can give her this 2-3 times a day. Also, for the runny stuff, try giving her a raw egg yolk, not the white, just the yolk. Good luck

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We got two yoghurt lovers here too. If we open one of those small cannisters to have a snack, you'd be sure to have two cats in your face about 1/2 seconds later, aiming at your spoon and on the edge of the cannister. Now I've given up and pour one of those for them in their bowl, so I can eat mine in peace. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't like it out of the bowl

My bad cats don't like it out of the bowl, they have to have it out of my spoon!! Bad, bad cats. Gotta love em!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Moritz is crazy for Yoghurt, too

My cat eats yoghurt and I read before that it is the perfect not-so-healthy milk replacement. He loves to eat cream cheese, too, but I think the natural yoghurt without flavors and without sugar does the best.

He eats is preferrable from a plate.

Since it is often hot and sunny here, its the perfect refreshment along with his water :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
My Digger will seek you out and kill you if you don't give him some yogurt and your eating it.... :lol: :lol: ...never seen a cat that loves ANY flavour of yogurt... doesn't matter. Never met a flavour he doesn't like!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Metamucil is fine, but it is grainy and has some sugar in it. I recommend Benefiber (nothing in it but fiber), this is what I give my cat, and the particles are as fine as sugar. It mixes easily into wet food, and my cat doesn't even notice it is there! Did your vet say how much to give your kitty? If not, I would probably start with 1/2 tsp divided into two 1/4 doses a day and adjust from there per your "results". :) Or you could call the vet for clarification on the dosing before you start.

Karie and crew :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Minority voice here: I would not give yogurt to a cat with runny stools. :? I found that it made my runny cat a bit worse, and my vet concurred that as a dairy product, it can irritate the digestive tract. And it doesn't contain enough acidophilus to really do any good.

From what I can tell, Walgreen's generic version of regular Metamucil (not hte orange-flavored kind) is all psyllium, no sugar added. Benefiber does dissolve better, and you use less of it, but it's made from wheat dextrin, so cats with grain sensitivities shouldn't use it.

Your best bet to combat runny poop is canned pumpkin. Most cats like it. Mine like it a LOT, way more than they ever liked yogurt. :)

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I too would limit yogurt...it has lactose in it and many cats are intolerant, which will give them loose poop.

Juli...what is the powder you're adding to the food? I would recommend an acidolphilus/probiotics supplement and either canned pumpkin or psyllium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts