Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gal does not like fish flavored canned food!! I've tried several grain free flavors and she turns her nose up, but will eat it eventually. BUT when she does eat them her poops are sooo soft and stinky it's wierd!
Anyone else have this problem? Well I guess it's not really a "problem" as then I don't have to deal with the addiction but still...:eek:nekitty

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 14 month old kitty who hates fish flavored anything, and on the rare event that she will try it, she vomits it up. Poor girl :( But that's okay, she just lovesss chicken, turkey and other non-fishy foods so it works for us both :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Fish flavored food is supposedly not good for them anyways, so.. like you said, not really a problem. xD

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 2 aren't too crazy about fish. Actually the only fish flavored food they seem to like is Merrick BG salmon, so we give them that sometimes. They like chicken and turkey MUCH more. It works well for me, because I don't like fish myself, so I definitely like the smell of the other meats much more! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
My first cat loved any food that smelled or tasted like fish. I tried tuna as a treat with my second cat Bodhi thinking he would just freak out but he wouldn't touch it. Some cats seem to eat anything and some seem to be super picky.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My cat wont go near anything Chicken flavoured. Makes buying food for him really hard sometimes because he doesn't like fish either.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Holly is allergic to fish (gives her diarrhea), she hasn't had any since she was about 4 months old (when I figured out what the problem was). Now she doesn't even recognize it as food...I can open a can of tuna and she's completely oblivious. Maggie & Kobi go nuts and she looks at them like they're crazy. Not liking fish is definitely not a problem...consider it a blessing...it's addicting and it's not great for urinary health.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Same here! We tried to give Layla some fish flavored food as a treat, but after one bite all she did was try to "bury" the bowl and ignored it for the rest of the night. Chicken and liver, however, is apparently delicious. Ick.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Whenever we have canned tuna (packed in water) we give the juice drained from the can to Midnight, the wild cat. He goes crazy for it and it is his favorite treat.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't see why cats can't be seen as just as reactive to foods as people. The are things I won't eat because they disagree with me. My sister gets violently sick if she eats pork, and unwell if she gets egg - even in mayonnaise.

As to the fish part, raw fish is said to destroy a vitamin essential to cats, (thiamine?) but I've seen a video of a cat catching its own fish at the water's edge, and there are the fishing cats of south asia that go into the water and swim beneath it to catch their food.

Zenobi wouldn't touch anything with turkey in it, but she loved Friskies 'Salmon Dinner' and the fish version of 'Temptations'.

Missy seems to prefer fish and her dish will be licked clean when it's served. Friskies Salmon Dinner is almost always sold out at the local stores.

That being said, if I had a cat that was digestively disturbed by fish, I wouldn't give it any.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sent My SO to the store the other day and he picked up some seafood cat food by mistake. We have decided NEVER again .. One of our cats has been throwing up but only the fish cat food and the other two have developed a severe odor issue in the litter box.

They have all started eating the dry food again, when before they ignored it. So the fish flavored food has been going to the feral colony since a few of them seem to like it. Anyways, back to the store for better canned food. but then I have been debating on making and freezing their food like I used to, Its not like I don't have plenty of time for now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well don't worry I am not feeding her fish flavors any more I just thought (after hearing most people's struggles with 'fish addicts') that it was odd that she turned her nose up...that's all!
I'm happy as her being a himmie, I'm not fond of cleanin her butt :p

·
Registered
801 Posts
jusjim:
Thats actually a good point I was going to bring up.
I think the difference is that domestic cats came from desert cats and not 'fishing cats' so to speak. BUT I believe some of the hybrid cats that are out now are part fishing cat, so I wonder if you could give them fish? Hmm....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts