Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here, posting away. I am in my den with my windows open and all the cats are in here with me as well. Lilly and Jerry are cuddled together on the top shelf of my book case. Minnie is on top of the piano, and Jessy is on the windowsill.
Well all the sudden Jessy starts hissing, over and over. I get up to see what she is upset about and there is a large gray cat on my porch, just laying there like he belongs. Well my first instinct is he must be feral, because we have alot of feral cats in the area.
I get up and go to the door, and talk to him a little. Well if he was feral he would have ran away instantly when he saw me, and he didnt. He just lay there. I flipped on the light and he still didnt move.
He looks kinda beat up, although his eyes arent really gunky like the ferals are. He looks like he has been fighting.
I told him to waight right there and I would go get him some food. I filled a cat dish with food and water and opened the door to give it to him. He ran a little ways when I opened the door, but as soon as I set the food down and closed it he came back. He picked at the food, but didnt really act starveing.
He is still there right now, just laying there like he belongs. I wonder if he is feral, or lost? I am going to try to talk to him agian in a bit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Amazing how strays will so often find a home where they somehow ~know~ they will be accepted.

Keep us up-to-date on what is happening.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He stayed on the porch like that at least until I went to bed. I went outside and talked to him for awhile, but he never let me get close to him. He may be feral...but he doesnt look sick like the other ferals I have seen around here. He looks pretty healthy actualley, other than a cut on hin nose and eye from fighting.
He isnt here this morning,so maybe he went back home. I will see what happens tonight.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was here agian this early afternoon. I went outside to have a looka t him.
It is really strange and he is worrying me some now. He doesnt seem feral. However he is very wary of me. He will not allow me to get to close to him. If I sit still and talk to him he will just stay still and ever mrrow sometimes. Yet if I try to get close to him he runs a little ways and stops agian.
After seeing him in the daylight he is not as healthy as I originally thought. He is pretty skinny and his face is beat up. Is it possible to get a broken ear? His one ear lays down on its side all the time. It also looks like he might have a cut on his rear end that looks infected.
I cant determine if he is feral or not, If he is he does not act the same as the other ferals I have been in contact with. They are all very wild and as soon as they see a human they are long gone.

So If I do get him to come to me and trust me enough to touch him what is the next thing to do? I cant afford to take him to a vet, I cant let him around my cats for fear they will get sick, and I dont want to take him to the humaine society. I know for a fact all the no kill shelters around here are full. So what kind of options does that leave me?
I would keep him if I could afford to get him healthy and fixed.

Anyhow, after I saw him this morning it started raining very hard and I havent seen him since. I hope he comes back!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Oh, Lillly, I wish there was some way to help that kitty. Perhaps he'll learn to trust you. (I think he's a stray) If he's a stray, you might be able to clean his wounds. His ear probably had a hematoma from him kicking it to stop the itch from ear mites. Perhaps the clot dissolved. I have seen cats like that. I hope he comes back. I know you'll do whatever you can. Keep us posted, all right?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I hope this dont sound silly...Is there a way you could put a small doghouse or old pet carrier out there with food and water?
Or some sort of shelter...I just bet if he knows he can get fresh food, he will keep returning!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was back agian last night. I may have mentioned before that I let some of the cats outside for supervised playtime. I usually do this in the evening and I sit on the steps or work in my flowers while they play. I keep a close eye on them and they have to come inside if they start to wander away.
Well last night Jerry, Lilly, ans Jessy were all outside and I was on the steps. I looked up and there he was. Him and Jerry were just laying next to each other like the best of freinds. He never would play with my cats, just kinda lay there watching them and me.
I talked to him and called to him. I tried to get closer to him but it was no luck he kept his distance.
After awhile I started getting the cats inside the house and we went in. I looked out a little while later and he was gone. I havent seen him since then.

He is so pretty, looks like a rather large cat if only he was fed properly. He is very tiger looking. I will try to get a picture, but I need some more film first.
I wish I could catch him and clean him up. I know I could find a way to keep him

I wonder why he doesnt trust me to come near him? He is afraid of people for some reason. well I will keep you updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts