Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I apologize ahead of time if there is a post similar to this that I have missed!

I have two female cats, one is a three year old Coon Cat, the other is a 16 year old tabby. I used to live away from home, and that is when I acquired the three year old. She was a kitten when I got her, and she stayed with me in my apartment for two years before I moved back home with my mother, the owner of the 16 year old cat. Both cats were unfamiliar with having other cats near them, so I was hesitant to let them meet. It had to be done however, and we slowly introduced them to each other.

For the first few months they tended to just avoid each other, or just hiss in passing. They continued this for another 4 months or so. Just this this last 6 months, the youngest cat has taken to really picking on the older cat. The youngest will jump on the oldest's back, beat on her face with her paws, jump on her while she is sleeping, chases her to the point that the other cat has lost 3 lbs, she has even bitten her paw hard enough to leave an open wound.

I have tried everything I know to help my three year old understand that the other cat is just too old to play rough, unfortunately she is a cat and doesn't understand that. We provide her with endless toys for distraction, I give her lots of attention (in case it is jealousy), and she is sternly dealt with when she attacks the other cat.

We have tried a spray bottle, we have tried using stern voices, we have tried locking her up in a room for an hour while she cools down. But she just continues the behaviour. Its almost like she can't help it! Even when she is sleeping, if the oldest cat walks by her...she gets up and pounces!

So my question is, what kind of behaviour is this? I don't think it is a playful behaviour, because when the youngest attacks (though she has only drawn blood once)her ears are down and you can tell by her face and body language that she is angry. And even if it is playful (which I doubt), the oldest is not interested. She is old and craggy and does not want to play. She has bad hips and a bad paw, so really, she just wants to be left alone.

Its driving us crazy, there must be a way to control this behaviour and teach my youngest that this type of behaviour is not acceptable! For the sake of the 16 year old, we have to try and control it. The poor thing gets attacked about 5 times a day. Its gotten to the point that she "runs" every where she goes in case the youngest is after her, and she is jumpy even while eating because she thinks the youngest is lurking near and will attack. Its just sad to see.

Any ideas on why my three year old cat would be acting this way? And what types of behaviour modification we can try?
Is there anyone else that has this problem?

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
That's so sad. Sounds like your cat is trying to establish herself as the "alpha" cat, which I guess is normal, but she's not being very nice about it.

Have you tried Feliway or any other type of product like that? Some members here swear by it, some haven't really had much luck. I'd say it's worth a shot, because it doesn't sound like rehoming is an option. I feel very bad for your Mom's cat, especially being older and wanting just to live out her life in peace. And I feel bad for you, because there's no WAY you could have guessed your kitty would act this way. It's strange to me that the behavior started later rather than right off, too. Maybe someone else will jump in and offer some advice. It's kind of late here, though, so you might not get more responses until tomorrow.

I'm sorry I haven't been much help. I have two cats who are frenemies, but there's no physical contact, just avoidance, sometimes intimidation.

I hope you get some advice you can use. :patback

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your response, and trust me....any response is greatly appreciated and valued! You are right, rehoming is not an option because she is my little-baby-kitty, and I feel like its my fault for not socializing her as a kitten, ya know? If anything, I may have to eventually move out of my mother's home and back into an apartment in order to give my mother's cat some piece! But that is an extreme, I am a student and just can't afford that action quite yet. That is why I am looking for alternatives.

It is strange that it started so late! That is why, for a little while, I thought it might have been jealousy. But, I made sure that I played with her, and gave her a lot of attention, we never showed affection to the oldest one while the youngest was present, just in case, but it didn't help!

I think we are at the point where we will try just about anything! I researched Feliway after I read your post, and it seems like something that could possibly help! So, I will definitely give it a try!

Of course, I would still appreciate any other forms of advice or suggestions!

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts