Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Me and my partner took Jake our cat in from someone who found him as a stray.
The vet noted he had thick knee joints when we too him in for his jabs last January and he mentioned he would be more prone to Arthritis when he got older. Estimated his age last year between 2-3 years old.
Toook him in today for a check up and I mentioned I had noticed his hips appeared a little clicky when he walked.
She went to manipulate his legs and he hissed and bit her, which is very unlike him. She said his hips felt clicky and his knee joints felt like they had arthritis. When she asked his age, she said his hips and joints are really bad for a cat his age. It could be a hip malformation, mis healed injury but wouldnt know without an x ray.
We are planning on having this done so we know exactly what we are dealing with. She has put him on Metacam but did say that he cannot stay on this due to the long term damage it can do and we would have to look into some type of supplement we could give him.

Long story sorry, does anyone have any ideas of any kind of supplment we could try to make things for comfortable for him? Something that helps with joint inflammation?
Hes not in visable pain and I feel bad for not knowing he was until the vet found out today.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Jake is hurting. Cats are very good at hiding their pain. In the wild, they are more vulnerable if they appear to be in distress.

I would talk to your vet about a glucosamine and chondroitin suppliment for him. It can help stall any damage he may have and maybe make him a little more comfortable without drugging him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys
Iv done a bit of research and glucosamine keeps popping up in things a find online.
Raecarrow, iv just come across a supplement with both of those things in. Its a capule which can be added to food. Being in the States I dont know if you have heard of it.
Its called Synoquin.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I know my sister uses Cosequin for her horse. They do make Cosequin for cats as well. I would talk to your vet about the different options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, iv found a few, Il maybe print of the different ones and discuss with her which ones she recommends.
I think I might be forgiven for taking him. I had some trout the other night but didnt like it. Knowing he was going tonight I kept it and hes very happly muching through it know. Yey im forgiven he purred lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would tell the vet not to use Metacam. Very bad for cats even just a few times. There are other pain meds out there.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I used to try to give Paizly Cosequin, but she hated the flavor. I would sprinkle it on her wet food, and she would lick around/under it. I tried mixing it IN the food, then she'd refuse to eat any of the food.

I just now started trying SynFlex as it has 2 kinds of glucosamine, and liquid is supposedly better absorbed by the body than pills. It's also easier, because I use a syringe to squirt it in her mouth, so she can't avoid taking it!
As I just started this routine, I'm not sure if it even works yet... I'll know by the end of the month, if she stops hobbling!

("SynFlex For Pets"... $30 bottle should last 9 months or so, compared to Cosequin $18 for one month)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I didnt know about Metacam until I was home and had already paid for it.
He doesnt really hobble or appear to have too much trouble. His hip looks a little clicky when he walks but can run full speed up and down stairs with no problems.

Thanks for the recommendation Vivid Dawn, just had a look and I can get that here in the uk and at Jakes current weight 1 bottle would last 8 months. Good deal me thinks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cosequin for cats really helped Kobie who had a poorly healed hip injury and was gimpy. He didn't like the taste very well but my other cat Thurston was constantly chewing into the packet and eating the pills. But he's a bit weird that one.

You might ask about Adequan injections. They've given my dog a new leash on life and my vet says her cat is taking them and has improved loads.

I second the thoughts on Metacam. If you search the forum, you will see that the manufacturer has made a statement that the product is not safe for use in cats. I have the letter from the manufaturer if you would like a copy to take to your vet. Perhaps he will refund you. I know its expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iv seen the letter, to be honest I dont think there is much left in the bottle. Yesterday was probably the first day he got the full dose and he was so energetic, so maybe he was a bit uncormfortable and we didnt know.
Thanks for the recommendations, im researching everything and taking a list to the vets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts