Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have three cats, two of which are approximately a year and a half old, and one that is just a couple months younger (Arya). We have had Arya since she was 7 weeks old, and while she was small, she has never been "thin." She was kind of a pudgy little kitten, she thinned out a bit, and then she got heavier again after spaying. In my opinion she is quite large right now.

She is due for her routine vet visit and I will be scheduling that very soon, but I wanted to see if anyone had opinions about the fact that she will not play. At all. Ever. When we first got her she'd play a little with dangling strings and the laser pointer, but she gradually lost interest in those things. She has never been a very active cat, but now that she's so big it's becoming more of a concern.

My other two cats chase these little squishy balls around all the time and they love that toy from the informercial call "The Cat's Meow." I also just purchased "Da Bird" last night after seeing it on My Cat from ****, and Xena and Ava go crazy for that thing, even though Ava is almost totally blind. Arya will watch them play but NEVER attempts to join in. I even dangled the feathers from "Da Bird" near Arya while she was on the couch and she didn't move or even flinch. The only time she runs or anything is if a stranger comes in and she wants to hide or if she hears the food bowls being moved.

Does anyone have a cat that's like this? She takes interest in chipmunks and squirrels outside, watches them intently, and does the little "wiggle" like she's going to pounce on them. She just doesn't care about doing any fake hunting...

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Every cat is different...

For instance, Jasper shows no interest in the laser but loves other types of games and toys.

Blacky has never liked to play with toys.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough. The only reason it caused me concern is because she's fat now, despite being fed the same thing as the other cats and the same amount. I guess I'm just going to have to start cutting back on her food a bit.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It might be worth making her work a bit for her food especially if you can split her up fro the others. Put smaller portions where she would have to climb, search for it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree on trying to play away from the other cats and start out slowly. Like humans though, every cat is going to have a slightly different metabolism. Some can eat non-stop and never gain a pound, some get fat from anything small over their maintenance level.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A cat that doesn't get into trouble, doesn't fight with others, explore or get into trouble doing so, wants merely to watch the world go by? Hmmm, but I can see how this is a puzzle. Is she a lap cat?, and the other two enjoy playing with each other?

I assume they are indoor cats and if so......try a harness inside for awhile...off and on so she gets used to it. Then perhaps you can take her outside and see if she can/will walk on a leash. I did this with Kermit but didn't walk him...merely tied him near a table/chair and mostly he was happy just watching me garden etc. did a little exploring when he was younger and even caught a dumb sparrow in vines once. But he always is content with sitting in the summer sun. That was just his way.

We don't push playtimes...maybe should. It is their house and we live with them so they pretty much do what they want to. I did install two wire cages in porch windows (front and back) and sometimes they run back and forth to them when outside cats show up. That is exercise.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Some cats don't play. Gizmo loves to play...marshall not as much...his play comes in lil bursts and he kinda spazzes out

What about a remote controlled mouse? Or battery operated mouse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts