·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a) like her second home
b) never been in it
c) only to go to the vet's
d) other

I bought a car recently and I'm trying to get Prince used to it, first of all because it belongs to him too like everything I own, and also so that if I have to take him to the vet or something, he'll only have the motion sickness to cope with, not the strangeness of the car. I take him to the parking lot downstairs and we play in the car for a while. The more the car gets my scent, the more time he spends inside it exploring it. I plan to start giving him treats in the car, and feeding him in it occasionally too.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
C

I was pondering training getting my cats used to the car, but there's really no point.
Paizly's too old and decrepit to really go anyway.
Zinny would bolt out back to the feral thicket the first chance she got, if I wasn't quick enough with a carrier door on the way in/out, or something, so I don't want to risk her disappearing again (permanently next time?).
Nebbie I probably could... but after thinking about it, I really don't want to take her in public after all. Dog owners usually let them "play" and come into contact with other pets, without bothering to restrain them much. Plus there's plenty of germs she could pick up, and...well, I just don't think it's a good idea.

I'll keep them safe and sound and content at home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
C

she usually don't meow very often, and her purr is also.. conservative...
but when in the car, she meows very loud, and louder if I go faster on highway or haven't been interacting with her for a while. I have to constantly put my right hand on the cage door/fence and talk to her like "im here, don't worry, meoww"

I also tried to let her go free while im driving... the slightest turning will set her off balance. and she has all her claws btw. then she will try to climb on my shoulder, then my arm... it got quite dangerous a few times.

·
Registered
383 Posts
All our cats travel with us when we travel. And each has their own carrier that gets strapped down in the rear seat. Pixel loves to travel & likes to watch the scenery especially the car lights at nite. He rides on the drivers lap with his paws up on the steering wheel "Helping". Bentley tho gets car sick and pukes & poos sometime during the first 50 miles. And then prefers to stay in his carrier being a really grumpy old man. For short trips (afew blocks) tho if he can sit on your lap he is ok with it. Of course when we travel it is usually to see our kids and is half the US away (14+ hrs drive @ 70mph).
For beginning trips - don't let Prince eat or drink for at least 2 hrs before you go to keep him from getting car sick as easily. A hard sided carrier seatbelted into the passenger seat with the door facing you so he can see you will help keep him calmer until you see if he likes it or not. And safer (you wear a seat belt right?). Never Ever open a car door without making sure Prince is in a locked carrier - it is too easy for a cat to panic & bolt. FYI Hubby almost lost Pixel once when he slipped out & followed him into a gas station, he drove almost 50 miles before turnin around & going back to find Pixel perched beside the cash register talking to the clerk. And Pixel just wanted to be sociable... of course it was winter & he was wearing both his glittery pink sweater & his blingbling harness - clerk couldn't help but notice he wasn't your average cat.
I started car training for all except Bentley when they were still nursing kittens. And when we travel we go with cat box in the car, the beanbag beds on top of our luggage & we look like the ******* version of mobile cat hoarders. It is a standing joke that we travel with more cat stuff than luggage. And if you could have seen the looks on the hotel staff faces when we check in & go thru the lobby dragging 3 trolleys - one with 6 carriers, 1 with the bins of litter, food & stacks of kitty beds & one with the hubbys little weekender & my 1/2 ton of wardrobers (a girl can not have too many shoes).

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
When I brought Shepherd Book home/took him to the vet he was fine. Just sat quietly in the carrier and played with my fingers outside the bag when I tickled at him.

MowMOw ...mows... if he's locked up but a few times he's unzipped his bag and I couldn't stuff him back in while I was driving so he got to explore. He put his front feet up on the dash and watched the entire trip with fascination. I swear he looked like "MAN! Look how fast we're running!"

·
Registered
709 Posts
My two don't really mind. We recently moved 250miles in a removal truck- with the girls girls, four hamsters and four fish all in the front with us! The girls were on harness, but just sat where they wanted- Mitzi snuggled between me and Hammy's cage, and Evie under my seat. Evie isn't great in a carrier, she gets very agitated, so we made the decision to allow her to travel on a harness a while ago. Mitzi isn't so fussed about being in a carrier, but doesn't like to be contained if Evie is let loose! They travel remarkably well though, very little meowing- they also LOVE to watch out the window.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
For safety's sake, yours and the cats, no cat should be loose, even on a leash, in a car. If you're in an accident and a window breaks, door flies open, your cat will be gone! It's safer to always have them in a carrier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts