Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning, someone from the National Environment Authority came w/o notification to inspect the house, checking for mosquitoe breeding cos of a dengue outbreak in the neighbourhood.

I forgot to close the door to ET's room and after checking the common bathroom and kitchen, he had to check our master bathroom which is just next to ET's room. I was expecting ET to go into hiding the moment he hear stranger in the house, but alas! no! The moment ET saw this guy, he hissed, growled and arched his back in attack mode.

That guy was pretty calm and remarked "YOUR CAT IS VERY FIERCE". OMG! I was embarrassed and had to act fast by closing the door to ET's room, just in case ET really attack, and replied "he is just afraid of strangers".

Have you ever felt embarrassed when your kitty was rude in this manner or in other ways? I suddenly felt embarrassed, but it was just for a moment. I know I can't blame ET for being such a scaredy cat, nor myself for not being able to train or even help him to be less timid. It isn't the 1st time he hissed at our visitor, but the 1st time he hissed, growled and arched his back in attack mode at such close proximity with our visitor. Most times, he goes into hiding and will hiss only if our visitor gets near him to have a look at him. What does this mean? has he gotton so brave that he dared to face a stranger head-on? or is he still scaredy?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Poor little ET was startled by the sudden appearance of a strange person!
Perfectly normal for him to have a reaction like that!
Its like when someone startles us and we about jump out of our skin!!
Out of my seven cats, only three are confident enough to be curious/social when someone new comes over! Three of them hide and one will go under the kitchen table or into one of the hidy hole beds where she feels safe and yet can keep an eye on whoever this person is!
I never feel embarrassed about my cats reactions to strangers, its just a part of them to be cautious around new things, people or otherwise!
He didn't know what to expect, so he put himself into full on fluff mode! ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OIC. I thought he should have heard or smell someone strange in the house and wouldn't be caught by surprise. All cats have bionic ears and nose, don't they? lol. Ok, so, he is still scaredy, for once I thought he has gotton brave, lol.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
All of my girls generally disperse into a vapor cloud whenever a stranger knocks at the door. I really don't know where they go, all I know is it ISN'T the same floor as the stranger.
It is kind of funny when the visitor leaves because they seem to suddenly appear from thin air, and just resume milling around the house, going about their business like nothing happened.

My girls are really weird.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
LOL! He probably did hear the guy!
However the guy is suddenly in his space and up close and personal!!! :D
Some cats are just that way!
If he loves on you and likes to be close or cuddle with you, then just enjoy him for who he is! Perks and quirks both! :p ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of my girls generally disperse into a vapor cloud whenever a stranger knocks at the door. I really don't know where they go, all I know is it ISN'T the same floor as the stranger.
It is kind of funny when the visitor leaves because they seem to suddenly appear from thin air, and just resume milling around the house, going about their business like nothing happened.

My girls are really weird.
What a funny way to describe your girls, ET is exactly like that too, disperse into a vapor cloud, but it certainly take him quite a while to come back out. He usually wants to be sure the coast is 100% clear before making his appearance, lol.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
L
Some cats are just that way!
If he loves on you and likes to be close or cuddle with you, then just enjoy him for who he is! Perks and quirks both! :p ;)
He isn't a cuddly kitty, but a sweet boy to me anyway. I'm not gonna change him or expect him to be a lap kitty, just hopefully and attempting to try to make his life easier by buying all those calming stuff, but doesn't seem to help very much. So...ok...will just let him be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmm... it could be that certain visitors give off certain vibes or smells. My kitten just a tad shy but he doesn't get freaked out in general. We've had some people visiting and he normally observes them from a distance and slowly approaches to sniff their shoes or bags etc. but would never let them touch him. No hissing or growling. However, one day the cable guy came and he was a big guy with a loud voice - my kitten got totally freaked out and refused to come out from under the bed for about 3-4 hrs. When my husband came home later that day, my kitten was also scared of him (cos maybe he's male like the cable guy?!!! who knows?).

Anyways, I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about. Any animal that feels threatened for any reason would react in a certain way, including Man.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha...sometimes its hard to understand cats. This guy who came today is elderly, huge, yes, but looked fatherly and doesn't speak very loudly. Maybe like you said, he gives off certain smells...or maybe ET just didn't expect him to come that far into the house and that just startled him. And well, I didn't expect ET to still stay around and not hide, when there is a stranger in the house, lol...

I shouldn't have felt embarrassed, but I did, it was like a stranger telling me I have an ill-bred child who was plain rude... anyway, it was just for a couple secs before I came to my senses, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Am I the only one shocked by this? "...someone from the National Environment Authority came w/o notification to inspect the house...". A government agency came into your house unannounced to inspect it?? OMG, what country do you live in??

I'm sorry about ET, but I would not have felt the need to say anything but that he does not like government employees that feel it necessary to intrude on people's personal spaces without a probable cause warrant. 8O

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
It has happened to me too. Winston went into full guard/attack mode at our plumber. I was really surprised, he has seen him before. I guess he may have smelled something different in him.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A cat I had named Jade would greet my husband with growls and hisses when he walked in the door, even me once in a while. She was very vocal like that. I blame my husband for playing rough with his hands while I raised her. We called her Miss Hiss. lol
One day we had company and she did the whole display, with all the sound effects, blocked the entrance to the living area, and even gave the guy a few swats! It was a good thing that he was a cat lover and we were all laughing at how funny it was.

Husband is not allowed to play like that with kittens now, and doesn't want to after he has seen what can happen. She has attacked him hard a few times.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lol...at my house the cats were really excited to see all the kids! Muffin watched out our door all night, and tried to leave with some of them once. The boys LOVE new people. I've got a pic of them watching out the door, I'll dig it up and post it later :)

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
OMG, what country do you live in??
Singapore.

What I found shocking about the country is that cats aren't technically allowed as pets in public housing, and something like 80% or more of the population lives in public housing. That sort of freaked me out, but seems there's lots of people like snowy keeping them as pets anyway. :D

Jasper used to freak out with visitors about 5 months back, but now he doesn't care. I think it's pretty natural for cats to react that way to strangers. As long as ET isn't charging the stranger at the door I wouldn't worry.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
My girls are exact opposites. When there's a knock at the door, Penny runs as fast as her little chubby legs will take her up the stairs and under the bed. Nala runs to the door to greet whoever might be standing on the other side.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've totally been embarrassed by my cats... but or the opposite reason. My two boys are completely unafraid of anything and extremely curious. I've had some different people come to install custom shelving, paint, replace tiles etc. and I have to tell them that if the cats are in the way or causing problems I'll put them in my bedroom. The boys were perching on the shelves as the poor carpenters were trying to install them, completely unconcerned that they were hammering nails and using power tools.

The two white ladies and any fosters that I have generally find a nice place to hide when loud things are happening and otherwise will stick around but stay out of the way of visitors.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've totally been embarrassed by my cats... but or the opposite reason. My two boys are completely unafraid of anything and extremely curious. I've had some different people come to install custom shelving, paint, replace tiles etc. and I have to tell them that if the cats are in the way or causing problems I'll put them in my bedroom. The boys were perching on the shelves as the poor carpenters were trying to install them, completely unconcerned that they were hammering nails and using power tools.
That's exactly what Galileo is like. He flopped himself down on a contractor's lap once when the guy bent down to untie his shoes--right after walking in the door for the first time. :roll:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Jem was always very skittish. I had some people painting upstairs and thought Jem was hiding in my room under the bed, but he was in the guest room (he actually hid up IN the boxsprings a lot, so I didn't see him under there). They made some noise moving things around and Jem flew out from under the bed at the speed of light, nearly knocking one of them over. He was like "what the heck was that thing?". He moved so fast you couldn't even tell what it was, LOL.

Scout is the exact opposite. I switched alarm companies recently, and the guy that was doing the work was working in one of the closets, and Scout came up and started sniffing him (in somewhat embarrasing places like a dog would) and was rubbing all over him. I just replied "I hope you're not allergic to cats" and he kinda laughed.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
and Scout came up and started sniffing him (in somewhat embarrasing places like a dog would) and was rubbing all over him. I just replied "I hope you're not allergic to cats" and he kinda laughed.
ohhh...I would be embarrassed too, but in a funny way, lol.

In fact, non of our visitors have actually seen ET, all they saw was something white running away from them. My sis-in-law had to sneak into the house quietly and watched ET from afar at the main door, while he was resting high up on our copier machine and it was for just a couple secs before ET notices her and ran off. Other visitors keen in seeing ET had to literally go on all 4s on the floor to just have a peek at him hiding under the fish tank rack, while he hisses away. But now, I will nicely turn down all requests to see ET, knowing he will be very stressed. So, yesterday, was the 1st time a stranger in the house actually saw a FULL cat, a standing cat, and a fierce one at such close proximity, lol...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts