Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your cat show you that it loves or likes you?

My black cat Newby has some cute ways of showing me he loves me. If I'm around the house, and he hasn't seen me for a while, I'll go looking for him, and when he sees me, he'll run up to me, meow at me, and he'll rub my legs. If he's really happy to see me, he'll run up to me, meow at me, and purr really loud while looking as cute as possible. Sometimes he'll hug me. He does this by jumping on his hind legs, and he puts his front paws on my stomach. If I'm sitting down, he'll jump on my lap, and massage me, while licking me half to death! I can tell you he's a talker, and he's got some of the cutest meows I've ever heard. I might post a video of him one of these days soon.
He loves being held, and he doesn't take "NO!" for an answer as far as getting attention is concerned. We got him from one of my dad's friends, and I can tell you that he was raised quite lovingly! He is my silly boy! He was only a little over a year old when we got him. It took him almost 5 days to get used to me & my grandparents. I think he loves me the most.

My older cat Chico will lay on me, and purr and purr and purr like there's no tomorrow. He also like to rub his legs against me. The one thing he loves most is having his cheeks rubbed. I adopted him from a friend of mine who used to be the manager of one of the local pools in Champaign, IL. I raised him since he was just a kitten!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Only had kitty for just over a week. Lets me pet him everywhere, even lets me pet his tummy and hold and play with his paws. He follows me around and has to see everything I am doing (might be a Bengal thing) He's happy to lay next to me or sleep on my back (I sleep on my stomach).

BUT, it just comes across that it's for his comfort, not necessarily showing me affection. I think it may be a Bengal thing - they bond strongly but it may be for their feeling of security, not really for my happiness.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It depends on how you define "like" and "love". My cats do most of these things, but I think it's for their own satisfaction, not to express something to me. I don't hope for them to love or like me, just hope for them to be safe and happy. Since no one else is offering, I'm their caregiver and do my best for their feeling of safety and happiness...

Since they're former strays, they sometimes have some pretty feral ways of showing they want my company because they enjoy it so much. Princess Gatita, whom I adopted 3 months ago, for example, will swat at me with her claws sometimes if I stop petting her and get up to leave her room. I reprimand her, but it does show me how attached she is to me. She also bumps my nose with hers aaaaalllll the time, leaving my face wet. I feel like Fred Flintstone, and at first I'd reject it, but now I understand it's very important to her to show me her appreciation that way, one of the few ways she knows, as she was born of a feral mother. Prince has panic attacks if he loses sight of me outside the house.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Let's see:

Egypt - stands on 2 legs and asks to be picked up, and wants to be petted and scooped up on her back, like a baby. She trills a lot when she sees someone she likes. At night, she is the only one that sleeps with us. She always sleeps by my feet. Last night, she slept on my chest.

Lacey - comes right up to you and hugs your hand to make you pet her. She doesn't let just anyone pet her. She also likes to sleep on my lap while she's being petted.

Azalia - rubs her head on my hair, and if I ignore her, she will tug at my hair not so gently. She's a licker so when she's really into the petting and stuff, she will begin drooling and licking you.

Sasha - just digs his little claws into you and climbs up, makes himself comfortable and falls right to sleep purring away. I am hoping he will get the retracting claws thing soon :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
aster loves sleeping on my chest and licking me in the middle of the night. she will also headbutt our feet and trill.

cody loves to silent meow and be carried. he will also sit on my lap on the toilet or when im on the computer. he will hang out with me when it's nap time and knead me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well for me Bruce usually likes to play around first, and he usually shows his affection by grinding his teeth against my hand, he would grind them and go a bit mad (running his legs like crazy) and then he would just sit there and lick. but general more grinding teeth than licks...

Sometimes he looks possessed when he's doing it lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't begin to speculate whether or not cats are capable of love. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that they are capable of their own brand of loyalty, respect and affection. Having said that, this is the list of related habits:

Pippin (11 y/o male): Pippin did used to sleep curled up against my chest, but he has stopped doing it. He does, however, ask permission to get up on my lap by standing up and touching my leg until I say it's fine. Pippin can "hug" as well, which he does when laying down by squeezing your forearm between his legs. I wasn't sure at first that it was a hug so much as coincidence, but the strength which he applies with both legs to squeeze eventually was too coincidental.

Gwendolyn (1 y/o female): Gwen ignores me, and loves only guests and my wife. When we got her she bathed and kneaded me and laid on me, but eventually she simply did away with me, which made me sad. However, it should be noted that Gwen "hunts" (digs out)"food" (unwanted leftovers) from the garbage can and leaves me a portion under my most frequent hang out spot, that is, my computer chair. She also brings me her toy and asks to play with me.

Ozzy (8wk old male): Ozzie is my little man. He cleans my face, feet, hands everything. He sleeps on my shoulder for his cat naps. He sits on my lap, he follows me around, he wraps around my feet and brings me "surprises" and leaves them in my shoes at night (cat toys, dental floss...). Ozzie kneads me, sleeps between my wife and I, meows at me for affection and purrs like a machine gun. Upon making his first bleeding wound on me (whilst trying to climb me to catch some zzzz's) Ozzie followed me to the bedroom and surprisingly, jumped on my back and went to the spot he bled and licked it clean. If allowed, Ozzie will literally lick my entire face "clean".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts