Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love hearing about the little manipulations of our great manipulators, so please do share!

One of my strays (the only tom cat still) hurt his paw and I was suffering so much because I don't have money for a vet for my (about 30) strays. It broke my heart to see the formerly always running around tom now lying around weakly and hiding. So I decided to do what I CAN do - for a few days I gave him Prince's balanced raw meat diet, lots of treats and attention. I'd get near him, ask him how he was feeling, slow-blink lots, and then give him a very special treat.

Then he slowly recovered and it's been 2 days he's been walking normally again, but yesterday I gave him tuna again anyway (a happy heart releases healing endorphins in stray cats, I've read) and 2 days ago I gave him a whole big pork sausage.

Today he was perfectly fine, running around chasing newcomers to the colony like his usual self, thank God. At some point I focused my attention on him (I try to give some individualized attention to each every day) and asked him in a very sweet, caring tone: "How's your paw, my little baby?" to which he responded by starting to limp again. LOL

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more that comes to mind about the strays: When I come down to feed them, they cry helplessly until I lay down the bowls. Then they eat. Then they start crying helplessly again. It took me a long time to understand why. Now I know the second time is for dessert! :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
At some point I focused my attention on him (I try to give some individualized attention to each every day) and asked him in a very sweet, caring tone: "How's your paw, my little baby?" to which he responded by starting to limp again. LOL
LOL, this is hilarious!!!

Lily and Spencer both cry for their food at every meal, but thankfully they don't seem to expect dessert...;)

Spencer is my little "suck up" as I call him. He is a big boy (not fat, just big - he's already roughly 2 lbs heavier than his sister), and he LOVES his food. When he wants food he starts purring LOUDLY, rubbing up against us, making these cute little trills and meow noises, just basically being ADORABLE and AFFECTIONATE....all for the food. Lol. ;) And he doesn't like treats, so it's always for food.

Little Lily...ah. She just comes in the kitchen every time the fridge is open, stands next to it, stares at whoever opened the fridge, and mews pitifully. Her favorite freeze dried salmon treats are stored in the fridge...Unfortunately, I give in to her demands far too often...;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
My two are pretty masterful at the manipulations--although Wicket's are about as subtle as a ball peen hammer to the head. Starting around 430 am he sits outside our bedroom door and throws himself at it, while warbling at the top of his lungs, and threading his paws underneath, searching for the doorknob from the inside. Sometimes his meows actually sound like words: "guys? guuuuuuuuyyyyyyys? hello?" and it's really hilarious, the new combinations of sounds he comes up with on a regular basis. When we finally open the door (somewhere between 0530 and 0900, depending on which shift I'm on) he's sitting there, with the kitten directly behind him, still as a statue, like "what? I was just waiting here very patiently for you to feed me..." and then immediately stretches, yawns, and strolls nonchalantly in the direction of the fridge.

The kitten is a little more subtle, he starts to purr like he's happy to see you, and rubs up against your legs, giving little kitten mews and dancing around when it gets closer to food time. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he starts taking turns hurling himself at the door....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Today he was perfectly fine, running around chasing newcomers to the colony like his usual self, thank God. At some point I focused my attention on him (I try to give some individualized attention to each every day) and asked him in a very sweet, caring tone: "How's your paw, my little baby?" to which he responded by starting to limp again. LOL
That trick has been passed down through generations of cats, lol.

I think cat-human relations have always been based on manipulation. Cat was once a benefit to us till the cat turned things around on us and discovered how to make us benefit him. Now he doesn't even have to be a good mouser to get all he wants to eat which means he can be a kitten for the rest of his life! No worries.

:eek:rcat

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL these are hilarious! Cats are masters of the pitiful cry!

One of my strays cries pitifully before dinner, then pitifully for dessert, then when I'm all packed to go and she's sure I have nothing more to give, she moves to the next bench in the park, to someone who's just down with a sandwich, and starts crying pitifully. The person, invariably, ends up sharing their sandwich with her, totally convinced this is a poor starving stray. Sometimes I come up and tell the person that she's just had all the kibble she can eat plus tuna for dessert, but the person doesn't believe me. They believe HER masterful drama. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts