Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your cat's personality, and if you have 2 or more, what are your cats' personalities?

My black cat (whom I unfortunately had to put down to sleep a few months ago) was one of the sweetest cats to ever walk on the face of this earth. He was quite affectionate. He'd give out these cute meows that sound like chirps & trills, and he used to do figure 8s around my legs when he was in dire need of attention. He was one of the silliest cats as well. He'd jump on my lap, and every time he did this, he would massage me, and one time, it literally made me fall asleep! He was also playful. I'd put my hands under the covers of my bed, and he'd playfully attack my hands that were under the covers. If that wasn't enough, he also liked it if I put my fingers between the cushions of the love seat we have down here in the basement, and the same goes for the couch upstairs. He'd bat at my fingers, and he'd make me laugh.

One thing that I loved about him is that if I was outside, he knew that I'd probably be looking for him. If he saw me first, he'd run up to me, chirp at me, and give me a big black cat hug! He was one of the most caring cats who ever owned me. I am thankful for that.

A little off topic, but I love it when cats act like they're going to stretch out, but moments later, they fall over, and roll over while being cute. One of the black cats I had would do that, and he'd emit these cute little chirps when he was doing it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What a sweetheart....I can understand why you miss him so much. Four of my all time favorite cats were four black Manx males. They were the sweetest suckiest cats.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Aw, your black cat sounds like a darling.

Cheshire cat (who is technically my sisters, but I cared for him on and off for about 8 years of his life - one day I will have to give him an intro here with pictures), his purrsonality was one of "I can't be bothered." If you wanted to pet him, that was find, but he wouldn't come over. He would play as long as the toy was within reach, but wouldn't chase it. He was a sweet and gentle giant, but very aloof. He always wants to be in the same room as people, but would never seek out affection.

Io (mt current cat) is almost the opposite. She's very loving, she'll come when I call, and she'll seek me out to snuggle when I'm reading or studying. I truly think she's my "Heart-cat" if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Meeca is a mini Panther she is very agile & very independent, she prefers to play on her own when the other cat's are resting she will get out her fave toy & play with it & talk to it till her hearts content or until one of the other cat's decides they want to join in the fun & then she will up & walk away, she only like's effection when she want's it, she will meow at me & then I have to follow her to where she decides she wants some loving, she is a real Diva Kitty. oh & a very fussy eater.

Tulah is a very quiet, perfectly behaved lil thing, she never demands for anything, is happy to play anytime & eats what ever is offered to her, she adores food & purrs loudly when she eat's, she never meows the only sound you will hear from her is a loud purr or a squeek if she is unhappy about something ie. going to the vet.

Teddybear is my baby & is very demanding & bossy, he is a very small eater which worry's me but he loves treats & would happily live off them, he craves attention & has his own fluffy cushions on the sofa where we have cuddles every day, I have to give him real hug's & kisses just like a human baby or he cry's & head butt's me, Teddybear is the most playful & I think is the Alpha cat but he is a scaredy pants with noises, he is my heart cat.

Elfie is a lil fluff ball, he is quite independent & a good eater, he will only play with a select few toy's of his choice & only when he ask's to which he does by sitting in the hallway by the cupboard where Da Bird is kept & shout's at me lol, he like's to be groomed but not overly petted & will sometimes cuddle up next to me on the sofa, Elfie always has to sleep between my legs at night in bed, if my legs are closed he will walk on them until I let him in, he is a sweety & is Teddybear's twin brother :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
ApacheCat is 16, a former feral, would be a white with black Van except for a black splotch on her left hind leg; and is the alpha female. Very short tempered with all the other cats but a loving lap cat for me. Timmy Tiger is 12, a red mackeral tabby and the alpha male; very self assured, commanding and also my lap cat. MaxCat is 13, cream white and chubby, and a very laid back male who likes everyone. Max is always bringing me 'presents', sometimes dead mice and other times paper balls. Tigger is a calico with tabby, 14, laid back female and chubby, with a British Shorthair's round face and cobby body. Inky is 12, solid black and the omega cat of the pride; shy and constantly hissing everyone except Tux, her only friend. China is a cameo red female, about 11 years old, very shy and very low in the dominance group. Has the most silky soft short fur. Velcro is a long hair blue and apricot tortiseshell, four years old, a feral rescue and very independent. Only likes pets on HER schedule. TuxCat is also 4 years old, Velcro's sister, and is a part Siamese black and white bicolor wild child and extremely petite physically. Hates being restrained for any reason and is my clown cat as well as a lap cat. Rosie is a two year old feral rescue black tabby with peach tortie markings and is the mother of Dora the Explorer, almost one year old, and a very adverturous black, tan and brown tortie, as well as Sterling Silver, also almost one, and a grey tabby with silver ticked agouti body fur. Sterling is extremely shy, hides when any stranger is in the house and still does not like being petted or given attention.

Apache is the cat on my shoulder in the avatar picture.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Both of my cats came to me as dumped cats.
Colonel, my first cat, it was an instant love afair at first site. I had him sitting in my lap within 2 weeks. I was a cat hater before he cam to me. If you google Flame Point Siamese, all the images are just like him. Blue eyes and points, I have been told he has a lot of Siamese influence in him.
Onyx, my black cat, came to me on a cold winters night. I was leaving for work on the midnight shift and tripped over her when going out the door. I scooped her up and put her in a quickly made safe room. The rest is history.

Colonel is very vocal with the chirps a meows. Just wants to be near me. Not a wrap around your leg trip you cat. If he is outside when I come home from work. I hear meowing before I open the truck door. WHen the door is open, he jumps up in the cab to greet me. What a great welcome home after a stressful day at work. When I go to bed he runs to the bed and takes up his spot on my left side. Sometimes I find him curled around my head on the pillow. If I am working in the workshop, you will find him perched on one of the workbenches just watching me. I doesn't matter how you hold Colonel he doesn't mind. He is very laid back.

Onyx. Don't quite know why I love her so much. She will wrap herself around your leg or jump up on your lap wanting cuddles, but on her own terms. She loves to be held accross my chest like holding a baby. If I put her over my shoulder, like burping a baby, cuddle time is over. When giving her attention, she purrs loudly. Almost like roaring. On rare occasions she will sleep at the foot of the bed. Still trying to figure her out.
When I was in the introduction phase, I had more trouble with Onyx being agressive than Colonel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Snickers is the alpha male in the house. Actually he's the only male in the house, lol. He is laid back and reserved.

Sayonara is the middle child and is very submissive to the other two. If they even look at her the wrong way the leaves wherever she is so that they may have the area she was in.

Victoria is a bratty 9 month old who is constantly pestering Sayonara and Snickers. Sayonara runs from her, but Snickers gives it right back. I'm beginning to wonder if she's not trying to take over spot of top cat in the house!!

Sheba (RIP) was truly my heart cat. She was the alpha and was the best cat a girl could ever ask for. She was overly affectionate to the point of being a pest at times, but I would give anything for her to be back pestering me all the time.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Oscar - Tuxedo, former indoor/outdoor tough guy who was brought to full time indoor status due to my imposed force. Was once a very busy boy, always patrolling the outdoors for any intruders only coming indoors for sleep and food. Now, he's quite a bit calmer and our most reliable lap kid. 10 years old now, his age is showing some. His first year indoors only has been a little difficult on him, but I think he's coming around. He'll either deal with, or full on return all of the love I can give him. I'm more attached to him that I can ever say. He's the leader, or "alpha" of the three boys.

Alice - The cranky, beautiful little tortie. Full time outdoor girl who is the perfect description of a Tom Boy. She's all muscle in a small package, will hiss, growl and scare the bahjeezus out of you when least expect it, and then immediately lay in your lap and sleep for hours while sitting on the patio. She has more "floppy" characteristics that my Ragdolls, runs toward you with meowing excitement if you call her name from across the yard, and gives you a full fanged hiss when she gets there. I love this tortie girl.

Truman - Blue pointed Ragdoll (his eyes are my avatar) who is the epitome of beauty in our opinions. We shelled out the cash for him (I like to say adopted, but that is not the right way to present purebreds, I guess...) two years ago this fall and he has always been his own person. Very independent, even as a kitten, but used to get incredibly lonely until we coughed up the dough to purchase Baron. He enjoys attention, but only on his own terms, and only when he vocally asks for it. He's as stubborn as it gets, but is also be our biggest clown.

Lord Baron de Gortz - (hehe.... love his freaky name) is our baby raggie boy at 19 weeks old, though he's in the transition stage where the lovely cuddly kitten part of his personality is fading, and the head strong "I want to do it my way!" teenage cat is beginning to take over. He's Truman's half brother from the same breeder, though they really don't show a lot of similarities yet. Baron isn't as independent, but he may get there.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Colonel, my first cat, it was an instant love afair at first site. I had him sitting in my lap within 2 weeks. I was a cat hater before he cam to me.
i hate to admit it here, but it's a testament to how wonderful and life-changing cats are! i also was a "cat hater" before my husband took in a stray. i fell hard for that kitty and never cried harder than i did when we lost her to cancer. before that, though, like i said, i hate to admit, but i would chase cats away from our garden and spray pepper spray and cayenne pepper around the perimeter of our house to keep them away. now i WANT them to come to our yard. :!:

as for personality, our angel is a mature girl (11) who still likes to play. she can't do the long runs or sprints these days, but she loves to pounce and dive at toys under pillows and blankets. she doesn't like to be brushed so much when the sun is up, but boy! as soon as she jumps into bed at night, she truly is an angel. i can rub her belly and even her paws and bum and she doesn't mind at all. i just love her to pieces.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
MowMow was who converted me. Cats were....ok.... but I was a dog person. I always thought cats were too standoffish and not affectionate enough for me. Mow proved that VERY wrong. He's my little cuddlebutt and spends more time begging for attention than any dog I've ever had.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Muffin is my cat-dog. She follows me around like a dog, hangs out with my two dogs, sleeps with me and the dogs at night, comes and waits for her food whenever I feed the dogs. She talks alot, likes to be petted and always sits next to me but never on my lap.

Tiger Lily keeps to herself. I sometimes go the whole day only seeing her at mealtimes. I pet her while she eats and when she's done she disappears again. She enjoys my son though, he can usually coax her out with toys and if he is sleeping or watching tv in his room, she will lay with him.

Pookie passed away this year at age 17, but she was my lap cat, especially in her younger days. She liked to lay on my chest as close to my face as she could get. She slept alot in her old age and would get grouchy and hissy if disturbed, but she would still get on my chest whenever she could.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now even though I didn't own this cat, there was one time where I was walking, minding my own business, and all of sudden, this black cat (don't know if it was feral or was owned by anyone) came up to me, and when I sat down, the cat would jump on my lap as if the cat had known me from the beginning. I thought it was HILARIOUS!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Liz is that almost perfect balance of cuddly, loving kitty with active and independent cat.

Her cuddly and loving characteristics: she greets me at the door whenever I get home, knowing I am arriving even before I get to the door because she knows what my car sounds like. She does the same for my husband.
She lays on top of me when I am sleeping or waking up in the morning and purrs as I pet her. She licks my face a lot. She will do this sometimes long before it's time to feed her, sometimes after she's been fed. When she *just* wants food, she lets me know by jumping around, standing on top of me instead of laying down, and meowing until I cave and get up. So she only lays down on top of me when she *wants* cuddles.

Her mid-way characteristics: She sometimes follows us around, and often likes to be in the same room as us although she won't get on top of us unless we are sleeping. Sometimes, she enjoys being petted if we approach her. Other times, she will move to a different spot if we start petting her.

Her active and independent characteristics: She loves playing. She begs for a play session at least once a day. She needs some "me" time and spends at least a little bit of time everyday by herself in the living room while we are in our room. She hates being picked up. Everything needs to happen on her own terms.

I wish she was a little bit more cuddly (as in, would spend a bit more time with me and lay on my lap when I'm sitting at the computer), and I wish she was okay with being picked up. But overall I think she is very close to that perfect balance...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arkona, that is so cute.

I have to tell you guys about a really hilarious situation that happened to me today: I was at the Humane Society in Urbana, IL hanging out with the cats. I go into this one room where they have all the cats out, and there's a cat named "Hunter". She's a big cat. She's a tortie cat, and I know for a fact she's fed quite well. Anyways, she is a total sweetheart. She has these cute chirps she uses when she wants attention, and let me tell you, she wanted A LOT of attention! She had even gotten to the point where she started purring LOUDLY (Not as loud as that one cat in the UK, but very loud), and at one point, she went bonkers! She went to the door, sat at the door, and stared at me as if to say "You know what Nathan? There's NO WAY YOU CAN GET OUT WITHOUT PETTING ME!!!!!" I just stood there, and laughed. It was the FUNNIEST thing! Cats will do virtually anything in their own power to get your attention, and this situation I just gave you is a PERFECT example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My two are 15 years old litter sisters. They're rescue cats and were fairly badly abused before they came to us. One is a little overweight and her sister is a little underweight. It took a while for them to overcome their fears but we got there eventually. Molly (the larger one), is the more laid back one. She has a slight touch of arthritis in her back legs but never lets it stop her getting around. She's the only cat I've ever known (unless anyone tells me different), that gives a paw like a dog. She'll sit next to you to get some attention, but if you ignore her, the paw will come up. her sister Milly on the other hand, behaves like a kitten, and at least twice a day, as a mad half hour where she will race around the house at the speed of sound. Which is fitting really, as she's the most talkative cat I've ever known. They're both Heinz cats, but I'm thinking they may have a little Siamese in there somewhere, as I've read they tend to talk a lot too. She'll come on the arm of the chair, and we'll have a ten minute conversation. Seriously, I'll speak, then she will, then I will etc. She's definitely the dominant one, however, she's also the most skittish. Turn the vacuum on, and she'll bolt upstairs. Her sister just lays there, and when the vacuum reaches her, she'll get up (with a sigh it always seems), and walk behind you, then when you've moved on, it's straight back to her spot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Arkona, that is so cute.

I have to tell you guys about a really hilarious situation that happened to me today: I was at the Humane Society in Urbana, IL hanging out with the cats. I go into this one room where they have all the cats out, and there's a cat named "Hunter". She's a big cat. She's a tortie cat, and I know for a fact she's fed quite well. Anyways, she is a total sweetheart. She has these cute chirps she uses when she wants attention, and let me tell you, she wanted A LOT of attention! She had even gotten to the point where she started purring LOUDLY (Not as loud as that one cat in the UK, but very loud), and at one point, she went bonkers! She went to the door, sat at the door, and stared at me as if to say "You know what Nathan? There's NO WAY YOU CAN GET OUT WITHOUT PETTING ME!!!!!" I just stood there, and laughed. It was the FUNNIEST thing! Cats will do virtually anything in their own power to get your attention, and this situation I just gave you is a PERFECT example.
This reminds me of my dance teacher's cat. One of my dance classes is held at my teacher's home studio, so I go inside her house to use the restroom and get changed. She has 4 cats. 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs. One of the downstairs cats is a really, really friendly tuxedo. He's usually napping in the bathroom when I come in, and I go in to get changed and he won't leave. If he's right outside the bathroom, he'll come in with me.

He just sits there staring at me BEGGING to be petted. When I start petting his head, it's just not enough for him and he gets up on 2 feet to rub his head against my hand even harder. Or if I just put my hand out to pet him, he stands up to rub his head on my hand before I get to him. I can't just sit there and pet him for 20 minutes because I need to get ready, so I try to give him attention while getting dressed, and whenever I'm not petting him he starts rubbing his face on my legs and giving me the adorable face. Today he was even licking me, which he doesn't usually do. Then he looks all sad when I have to leave, sometimes following me to the door.

Probably the friendliest cat I've ever met.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts