Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitten has a disgusting 'crust' in his ears. it looks like dirt (he stays inside) - but flakes of dirt. when i first got him his ears were filthy (as was the enviornment he was living in) and i/the vet cleaned them out thouroughly. I had the vet do an earmite check - no earmites...so she thought... :roll:
anyway...it has been about 5 days since we've been to the vet and i was looking in his ears tonight and found the same stuff...not nearly as much - but enough to clean out......does anybody have a similar problem and/or know what i'm talking about??? :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We've had the same thing just happen to us with a cat we recently adopted. We took her to the vet the day after we got her for a checkup. She was pawing at her ear an awful lot so we had the doc check for mites and a yeast infection but he said there was just some dirt. We took her to get groomed and they cleaned her ears using a solution they sell by the bottle at pet stores but she started rubbing her ear again the other day and I looked in it and sure enough the "dirt" was back! The vet recommended we mix one part white vinegar with one part rubbing alcohol, put a few drops in her ears and rub at the base, then stand back because she will shake her head, which will help to knock the gunk loose. Well, so far so good, it's been a couple days and she's not pawing at her ears, just smells a little vinegar-y around her head! I also very carefully swabbed some of the dirt out with a q-tip. It helps if you have someone to hold your cat while you do this. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If it isnt mites (like lilly said have another check) it might be like people, as a child i had a lot of problems with my ears and had to get the syringed- they got really waxy very quickly, the cats might be the same. Some breeds of cats are known for having waxy ears which rewire a lot of care, such as devon rexes i think it is, your cats may have sch genes from a breed, or it might just be like people- they have problems with thier ears.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Get a very good ear cleaner, one from your vet instead of a pet store preferably, and clean your cats ears every day for about a week.

Have the doctor show you how to clean with cotton balls and q-tips to make sure you get everything out of the ear. If after 3 weeks of regular cleaning and you still have a problem, there is defeinetly something going on that needs to be addressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts