Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Zaya to the vet this morning to get blood work done and get her anal glands examined under sedation. This was due to her obsessive tail attacking that started about a week ago. She also has been refusing to eat for the last two days - I have only been able to get her to eat canned tuna. Tonight the vet called and said that blood and urine tests indicate that her kidneys are not working properly. They are keeping her to do tests and an ultrasound to try and determine the cause of the kidney problem. I asked the doctor what she thinks the prognosis might be given the most likely cause based on her experience and she said that it is possible that she may not recover as kidney problems are very dangerous and serious. I am totally losing it. She is not even three years old, and never could I imagine her having something this serious. Why?? She eats the best food, has regular check-ups, just had a full health exam right before we moved.. How can this happen? I'm so depressed, I can't bear to think of the worst, I just start crying. Please send us some positive thoughts. I will try to post an update tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Oh I can't imagine how you must feel, I know I would be going crazy. Positive thoughts coming your way and prayers going up.. HUGS

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I wish you luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you receive some good news very soon.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Prayers for you and Zaya.....hope she can be treated successfully.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
*thoughts/purrayers*
Dont panic yet! The vet is right, kidney issues (damage) is non-recoverable, but it *can* be slowed and managed and the kitty can have a happy life for quite some time. Years, even! She is only 3yrs old, so I'm keeping some High Hopes for you both.

Chronic and Acute Renal Failure:
CRF (chronic) is a much better condition than ARF (acute), though acute can sometimes mean it-happened-quickly instead of meaning is-happening-too-fast-to-control. You need more information and I know you're gonna worry no matter what, just keep faith...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for such warm words. Have not heard anything from the vet yet. I can't do anything - my mind is always on Zaya and I keep crying all the time. If they don't call soon, I'll give them a call myself to see what's going on.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Sending you lots and lots and lots of good thoughts. I just lost my Smokey late Friday night. I'd hate to see another member lose their kitty so soon after Smokey. I'm sure Smokey is looking down on Zaya and sending her healing purrs and headbutts.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Sending you and Zaya all the positive thoughts in the world. I know the shock of having a younger kitty with a serious health problem, or even potentially serious, and the disbelief that it could be happening, so I sympathize.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone. I have some good and some not-so-good news. The good news is, Zaya is back home with us. The vet did another blood panel on her today and another ultrasound and found that the kidney function is completely normal. The way she put it was "like the first test never happened". The not-so-good news is almost all the tests, including the ultrasound, came back normal, so no one has any idea what is wrong with her. We're still waiting on the results for two of the tests (not sure which ones - I was in class, so my husband went to pick her up and did not really know the questions to ask), they should be in tomorrow. So the end result is, we're out almost $1300 and we still have no idea what is wrong with her. She is still acting funny - she sits calmly on the floor and then all of a sudden bolts to another place and sits there, then does the same thing after a few seconds. I'm at a total loss. I'm thrilled to have her back and have her blood work normal and kidneys working, but I need to know what's going on!! She is still not well. Can anyone offer any suggestion on how this could be? Thank you all again for support, I really need it. Oh, and they gave us some Royal Canine Renal food to feed her, which she has been eating well.

·
Banned
952 Posts
What a quandary you're in! I'm so glad Zaya's back home, and I'll keep you all in my thoughts....

Has anything at all out of the ordinary occurred in the last week? Construction, guests, carpet(s) cleaned, furniture moved, Zaya ate a plant / got into a foreign food / got loose?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys,
I'm starting to worry it's something neurological too, my4kitties. I've been watching her and she doesn't seem right. Her pupils are dilated all the time even though it's pretty light in the room. She darts around for no reason, but doesn't look playful or happy. She runs from place to place and then just sits there. And she's been after her tail again! Auntie, I've gone over everything in my head too and I can't think of any such changes. Well, at first I though maybe it's somehow connected to the christmas tree (like maybe she ate some needles from it or something - I know for sure she did), but that's been loooong gone. We've had absolutely no guests ever in this apartment (we haven't really made any friends in London yet). She hasn't gone out at all. There's not a single plant in the house (my poor basil died months ago :p ). We have not had any construction either. Carpets cleaned... well, a big maybe.. We didn't really have them cleaned, but I did spill some wine on the carpet right around New Year's that we cleaned up with laundry detergent. But we rinsed it well and put a very low sitting table over the spot. Would she be able to get enough from that to get sick? I should mention that to the vet tomorrow. Also, we recently switched her food to Bozita (the ingredient list and protein content looked very good) - but have switched her back to Natures:Menu as soon as we noticed her having problems. She'd been on Bozita for about a week or less. It's just the worst not having any clue about what's bothering her :( How can I help if I don't know what it is?? I tried Google searching for "cat running from place to place and sitting" and for "cat dilated pupils running symptom", but haven't been able to find anything that describes our situation. Also, she has been very weird in the litter box. She's gone in about five times in the past three hours and she just digs around and then jumps and bolts out of there. She has not peed or pooped. I'm not really expecting her to go since she hasn't been eating or drinking much. Oh, I just heard her pee in there!! So, I guess she's peeing at least. But anyway, she is definitely experiencing some frustration with the box... I want my Zaya to be well and happy again!!! :((((( Will post after talking with the vet tomorrow. Maybe the remaining two tests will show something. And something easy, please!!

·
Banned
952 Posts
...Also, we recently switched her food to Bozita (the ingredient list and protein content looked very good) - but have switched her back to Natures:Menu as soon as we noticed her having problems. She'd been on Bozita for about a week or less.
Have you called Bozita and asked them if they've had any quality control issues lately?

When you call the vet tomorrow, have a list of the Bozita ingredients handy and ask him if an imbalance in any of them could cause your cat's symptoms.

I just looked up that food; apparently, it's main ingredient is fish. If not properly supplemented, a high-fish diet can lead to thiamine deficiency; two symptoms of which are dilated pupils and loss of coordination.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) Deficiency in Cats - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - Cat-World

A high-fish diet can also lead to various urinary tract issues.

The good news is that both are treatable.

AC

1 - 20 of 43 Posts