Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor little Zeus is going to get fixed tomorrow, the vet appointment is at 1 pm, they said I could probably pick him up at 5pm.

Is it normal that they ask me not to feed him after 8 tonight? I mean he will be crying all day tomorrow going so long without food. Is it because of the anesthesia?I hope everything goes well, do I need to keep him isolated after he comes home? Any advise would be very welcome.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
I've always been told no food after midnight for the girls. If his appointment isn't until 1 p.m., I would think midnight is safe, but I'd call the vet to make sure. Sometimes they're so used to saying "no food after 8", they don't stop and look at the appointment time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
12 hours is what I've always done. I take it away around 8 when I get kittens done, they are always booked for first thing in the morning so you should be fine until around midnight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bat was just fixed in October and I was sooo nervous! I didn't wanna leave him! I guess they had problems with him, turned into a little devil so I heard. XD (He also got a shot while he was there. Bat has NEVER done well with shots or medication of any type. It's so hard to give him his hairball medicine!) I was also advised not to feed for so many hours before the surgery and to keep him isolated from my other cats so that they didn't hurt him by playing and so that he didn't jump a lot or anything. My cat is definitely a jumper!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Ginfis was fixed last Monday. I was adviced to not to give her food 12 hours before surgery. I was lucky because I should bring her at 8:30am. Everything went fine, my bf picked her up in the afternoon and when I came home from work in the evening she was happily running around. She even jumped on the table! Yeah,,naughty kitty! Next Monady we are going to take out the stitches.

Cat cannot eat because of anesthesia. but it is still common that cat after the surgery throws up once or twice. It is normal.

Good luck to your Zeus. Don´t worry. Everything will be fine. (Even if I was worried like crazy! I did not sleep few nights before her surgery. Ginfis is like my little baby!)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just called the vet and they said everything went well and they also gave him his rabies shot. They said that after I pick him up I should not let him run around much. I will be going to pick him up at 5. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
Yay! Now you can breathe!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday got a little crazy and I was not able to update at all after I came home. Zeus was very groggy and just not very coordinated when we got home. He was starving and inhaled his food. Cleo was hissing and trying to swat him :(, Max on the other hand went right over and started cleaning him. I kept him next to me after he ate and he just curled up and slept for hours. This morning he seemed his normal self. Cleo is acting weird but I think she will get over it soon. Ugh have to go through this again with Max in a month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts