Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every winter I have to find new ways to keep Zipper warm on the porch. She LOVES the screened in porch all year - doesn't matter the weather. One year I came home to find her on the couch covered in 1/2" of snow that got in through the screen in a blizzard. I was so afraid she was dead! If I try to block the access she is miserable, so last year I bought the covered bed she is in now but she still looked cold. This year I bought a somewhat smaller bed, but she doesn't care for it as much so I decided to try and conserve warmth I'd cover them both with folded blankets! WINNER!! She won't leave the porch except to eat now and snuggle in bed with us. Such a sweetie!

View attachment 36522

And now that you've seen me mom, I'm going back to sleep!

View attachment 36530

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's beautiful!! And what a lucky cat, wish I had a covered porch for mine. :)
HA! Sweet Zipper has NEVER been accused of being beautiful - but she does have a beautiful, sweet spirit!! She was 9 when we adopted her and she's been such a sweetie. Not a mean bone in her body. She has arthritis in her front legs now, broke her breast bone a couple years ago and now can barely support her own weight. She can barely walk anymore so she walks like a raccoon with a hunched back, but she gets around. I'm just happy to make her last years cozy, happy and fulfilling. She is almost 16 now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our cats love our screened porch but we live in a warm area so I never gave any thought to the cold and snow. Great solution!

·
Registered
551 Posts
HA! Sweet Zipper has NEVER been accused of being beautiful - but she does have a beautiful, sweet spirit!! She was 9 when we adopted her and she's been such a sweetie. Not a mean bone in her body. She has arthritis in her front legs now, broke her breast bone a couple years ago and now can barely support her own weight. She can barely walk anymore so she walks like a raccoon with a hunched back, but she gets around. I'm just happy to make her last years cozy, happy and fulfilling. She is almost 16 now.
Aww. Go glad she has such a great home. What a great story. :)

Her colors are absolutely beautiful though!

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have you tried a Snugglesafe heat pad as well in her bed Marcia?
No, good thought!! I have extra outlets because we don't use the lamps, so I could keep something plugged in 24/7, too. The Snugglesafe is microwaveable. I'd be doing that all day!!

I actually have two seed starter warming mats! I'm glad you brought this up!! I'll put those out there under the beds.

·
Registered
779 Posts
How precious! Putting the blankets on top was a great idea. I understand where Zipper is coming from- I always feel the coziest when my bedroom is cool but I'm snuggled in a warm bed.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yea, the heating mats are going to be perfect! She will NEVER leave lol
She does look so very content. That picture of her peeking out is so cute. You can just about hear her getting ready to say, "Beat it, Mom." :p

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally found those heating mats but at 30 degrees outside they will have to wait. NO ONE is outside right now - the wind is howling and they hate that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts