Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've been following my threads you know Zoë’s story. Quick recap: She escaped before being spayed and got pregnant. Around her due date she began throwing up and we took her to the vet and learned that she had lost the litter of kittens. She was spayed this past Monday, the 19th I think. We adopted two new kittens. Now she is cooing at them constantly. It's the same noise she made when she was in heat. I know there could be some estrogen left in her system but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this. It's almost like she has forgotten how to meow, she just coos. And she pretty much ignores everything except Bengo, the male kitten. And he is neutered already. She acts very motherly towards him and also towards Rice, the female kitten. But her relationship with Surfboard seems to have deteriorated since we've brought the new kittens home. I'm sure they'll get back to normal once the "newness" of the kittens wares off.
Just wondering if anyone else had experienced something like this...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rice is using Zoë as a pacifier. She sucks vigorously for a few seconds and, after nothing comes out, stops sucking and goes to sleep with Zoë’s nipple in her mouth. I try to make her stop, and she does, until I turn my head and then she just goes to town. When I tell Rice to stop, Zoë meows at me. It's like she's telling me to shut-up and mind my own business. You can tell by the look on her face, trust me. But I'm worried that the sucking will cause an infection. Her nipples do not appear to be infected but are red. Should I separate them?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not sure I can help, but when we found our two cats when they were 2 weeks old, our 5 month old cooed(we call it chirping :D all the time! She also slept with them and licked them like they were her own babies.

Now, she is 1 year old and the kittens are almost 10 months. She totally ignores them and rarely chirps anymore.

A friend of mine who works at a cat shelter(no-kill) said that her mom cats chirp at their kittens...sort of like a way to 'talk' to them.

Abhay

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
When I first got Lucas, he was only about 6 weeks old. For the first week or so, he would suckle on my older male cat Levi. I don't think the suckling will cause any problems, just check for any redness or swelling in the nipple area just to be safe. Hopefully Rice will grow out of it quickly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will just let them be then. I'll keep a close eye on Zoe and make sure she isn't getting an infection. I guess Zoe has her babies after all :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Aww, what HAPPY cats!

Nursing won't hurt Zoe; in fact it may actually stimulate her to produce some milk! Eventually she'll "wean" them. It's nice for her to have them, and nice for them that she has adopted them so completely!

Cheers,
Dr. Jena

1 - 6 of 6 Posts