Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We gave my cat Zoguard and 45min later, she wasn’t moving. She couldn’t walk. We got her into the shower and washed off as much as possible with Dawn soap. After the bath she just laid there, we thought she was dying. We blow dried her which woke her up and we could tell she was a little irritated. Then she was moving a little more, but we noticed her hind legs are very weak and she won’t even try to get up to walk. We took her to the vet hospital and they want to run every test under the sun. I’m a single mom and don’t have that kind of money. I had her stay overnight for observation but she is showing no improvement. My daughter is sobbing. has anyone had a similar reaction to a topical flea medicine and if so what did you do?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My kitty ended up passing away. The medication was very toxic to her nervous system. She became very ataxic, it caused swelling in her brain, she ended up having a seizure while at the animal hospital and she stopped breathing. My cat didn’t have fleas either but since she kept going outside in my back yard, it’s spring time and that means flea season. I put it on her as a preventative and now she’s gone. It was my daughter’s kitty that slept with her every night. When I did research on the ingredients I read that it can produce neurotoxicity, including abnormal gait, convulsions, tremors. It kills fleas by blocking nerve transmission. But I believe it affected my cat’s neuro system. I think my cat was more sensitive to the medication because she had never had flea medicine before. Surely, not every cat will have the same symptoms, but it’s something to be mindful and careful of.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
So sorry to hear your kitty passed away. I'm sure your daughter is very upset and will certainly miss her kitty's snuggles at bedtime. It's my belief that we will see our beloved pets in the spiritual world when it's our time leave this one; that's the consolation of my soul for my former pets who have passed on. Hopefully, you and your daughter will get another kitty or cat. It's been my experience that the closest bond to an animal is when you let the animal choose you. My condolences for your loss, and hope for much happier days to come.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I am so sorry to read this. It is something to keep in mind, as you say. I had a cat react badly to a flea collar many years ago, but I was able to remove the collar and she did recover.

I hope another cat will come into your lives for your daughter and your family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts